Tuesday, August 15, 2006

1st Day of School


As my friends and I were driving to school yesterday we were discussing how anxious the teachers are about the kids. The kids are always worried and nervous about the teachers, but they probably don't even realize (at least I hope) how nervous we are on the 1st day of school. I could hardly eat breakfast. I guess it was all of the unknowns. I don't know my kids, i don't know if my voice will make it all day because I haven't been teaching all summer, I don't know if they will like the songs I have picked, etc.

But all was well. Ft. Hood made a new ruling that anyone who was in the military and had PK age kids could enroll them in Killeen's Elementary Schools. Last year I had about 17 PK kiddos at a time in my class. This year I have 40! The first day was quite challenging. I gave up seating charts and just hoped that they would all sit somewhere on their bottoms.

I feel for the PK teachers that have them all day. They are just babies that don't even answer to their own names. I was talking to Jonathan about all of this at the dinner table and Bryan overheard us. He had some advice to offer. He said that I should just spell out their names so that they would know who I was talking to. I then told him that they don't know their letters yet. He exclaimed, "They don't know their letters, maybe they just shouldn't come to school!"

Today was much better and I'm sure that trend will continue. I love my new teaching partner and I think it is going to be a great year!

Bryan had a good first day too. He said he likes his teacher, keep him in your prayers, I hope he stays on level this year.

2 comments:

Chris said...

PK is Pre-Kindergarden, right? So that is what, 4 years old?

Rebecca said...

Yes they are 4 and I even have one 3 year old. They cry about everything and I feel sorry for them, but there are too many to hug.