Saturday, July 16, 2005

Wireless Myth

My class had a project to turn in by midnight tonight, but we weren't quite finished so I stopped by a classmate's house in south Austin on my way home to Temple. We worked hard on the assignment, but we didn't quite finish before he had to go on a date. So I told him I would finish it up and email it to our professor. Well I had some errands to run in North Austin and I didn't want to backtrack to Mom's house so Mom and I went to Barnes and Noble; wireless internet right? WRONG! Well not completely wrong. I got a great signal for the internet, but it turns out that you have to pay for the internet kind of like a calling card. Their provider was even SBC (my internet provider) but I have to pay an additional monthly fee to use it away from my home.

No problem, we think, let's just go to Starbucks. We drive over there, same drill but their provider is T-Mobile. So then we drive to some random apartment complex to use someone else's server, but everyone in this apartment complex has a password, they are smart. So we call Mary Ann and she gives us some great advice-Schlotsky's. It works!! We didn't even have to get out of the car. Technology is amazing. There I was typing an email in my car! Anyway, the moral of the story is, if you need internet, it is less trouble to just drive all the way home.

5 comments:

Karen said...

I just got Mom's message. Sorry. And isn't Schlotzky's right around the corner from Mom's house?

Rebecca said...

Yes, but we were out by 1325 or 1431 or whatever the numbers are. We had gone to Kohls.

Anonymous said...

Karen,

I think it is an Arby's now...that place changes so often!!

Rebecca, when in doubt about technology, call US!! We go to Schlotsky's all the time to test out Chris's new program!:)

Glad you are home from the busy week...I am sure it is nice...

Mary Ann Melton said...

Debra used the Barnes and Noble wireless in college. the SBC pay is much nicer than Starbuck's T-Mobile. But free is better than pay anytime. By the way, a lot of hotels and motels now have free wireless - but most have some kind of password. And in downtown Austin there is a lot of free wireless in some of the parks by the capital. Also, downtown Hutto has free wireless also.

The last two cell phones we bought allow me to connect to the internet as long as I have Sprint cells. On our way home through Texas, I found a Curves for us to go to in West Texas.

"Ain't technology great!"

Chris said...

I do not put a password on my wifi, just in case someone driving by needs to do thier homework, or one of the nieghbors can not afford the internet access.