Tuesday, July 12, 2005

I Am Now One of Those People

I am in San Marcos right now taking a three week course in Kodaly. For those of you that don't know, Kodaly is a method of teaching music developed by a Hungarian. They don't really teach you how to teach in college, so that is what this course does. It is very prescribed and very challenging. We have to do this huge song collection which is equivalent to a Master's thesis. My collection currently has around 350 songs in it and it fits in 2 3-inch binders. So I am now one of those people I promised I would never be. I am one of those teachers that must roll a big dorky cart around with all of my stuff in it. I can see all of the college kids here looking at me thinking, "There's one of those people."

Good news. I found out yesterday that they are offering scholarships for graduate credit for these Kodaly courses. At the end of this one, I could have 18 hours towards a masters and I would only need 18 more! So I got the graduate application and the booklet for the GRE and we'll see what happens. Can you believe, I might have a masters degree? The official degree would be a Music Masters with an emphasis in Kodaly. And the funny part is I am going to be done with my thesis before I even take the other classes!

Any advice about the GRE would be appreciated

18 comments:

Karen said...

Wonderful news, Becca! I like your post title and your take on the circumstance. GRE advice? Buy Barron's study book. It is really good. I have an old one, but the test format has changed since I took it.

Amy said...

I have no advice, sorry.
But I would like to say that it looks to me as though you have an acceptable excuse for neglecting your blogging duties. The committee has met and we agreed that your link would stay on my blog. Just keep your nose clean.

Karen said...

Nose clean?

Amy said...

You know, stay out of trouble. It's a legal term, I think. Yeah, I'm pretty sure it is.

Chris said...

So if you get your Masters do we call you Master Becca, or Mistress Becca, or what?

Basically to prepare for the GRE I would practice, get sleep the night before, eat the right amount of food before hand, relax, do your best, and do not worry about the result.


Practice GRE

Chris said...

More importantly, when will Texas State play Texas in football?

Mary Ann Melton said...

That is great news that your summer study will count toward your master's degree! Go for it! You'll do well on your GRE - just do some prep with one of the books, relax, and take it! Good luck!

Rebecca said...

Hey Chris,
Thanks for the link! I don't know about the possibility of TSU playing Texas, but at least I will be a student at a college with a football team, right?

Rebecca said...

Amy,
Thank you for understanding and granting me an excuse. I know that in the bloggin world, it all comes down to you!

Rebecca said...

Thanks for the encouraging words everyone. It is great to have people to support me! I will be buying lots of books it looks like.

Karen said...

Bloggin' rule no. 1 - don't make a separate response to each person just so your comment total will increase. :-)

Karen said...

That's for us to do.

Karen said...

Gee, Becca, you're getting popular!

Amy said...

Hey Karen,
I bet we could go back and forth over here for days before Busy Becca notices!

Karen said...

Yes, probably so. She said she had a lot of homework today and she is putting of reading her blog till later.

Amy said...

Let's talk about Tom Cruise an Katie Holmes. Do you think they will last forever, or is this just a ploy to sell movie tickets?

Amy said...

Personally, I think she was hypnotized by some sort of voodoo. She looks a little scared of Tom, I think.

Chris said...

I believe her scientology "advisor" said that she was to be paired with Cruise and to "act happy about it".