Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Observations from a small town

Having grown up in the big city of Austin, sometimes I miss the big city life. But today as I was driving around my small town I made some observations:

Top 10 reasons to live in a small town:
10. Driving all the way across town requires a huge committment of 15 mintues.

9. There aren't very many restaurants to eat at so the decision of where to go is greatly narrowed. (Jonathan and I have a hard time picking a place so this is a plus for us)

8. If you feel lonely and need to see some friends, you can just take a trip to Wal-Mart and find a few to talk to.

7. Things like vehicle registration and anything else done in a government building have no lines, or if they do, they consist of one person in front of you.

6. I am direcitonally chanllenged and a small town has less places to get lost. (But it is also more embarassing when you don't know where something is!)

5. The time that you spend at the mall with a teenager is cut in half because there just aren't very many stores, as my niece Brittney says, "Your mall has issues!"

4. You can find just about everything that you need on main street (luckily our neighborhood is right off of it)

3. You don't get bored with just one street name for every street. They all have a regular street name and an FM number (people always have to translate into street names for me, those numbers drive me crazy)

2. There are two main starting digits to remember for phone numbers, so really its kind of like college when you give out your last four digits.

1. People are generally nice in a small town and the pace is a lot slower. Plus I guess this is where God wants us to be and he has blessed us with some wonderful friends!

7 comments:

Karen said...

The four digit comment cracked me up!

Rebecca said...

I'm glad that I could make someone laugh

Anonymous said...

Umm...sounds like you're talking about a small city, not a small town.

Here's a few differences:

1. Small cities have Walmarts. Small towns don't.
2. Small cities have two different phone prefixes. Small towns don't.
3. Small cities have malls. Small towns don't.
4. Any kind of registration can be found in small cities. Not small towns.
5. Small cities have a few restaurants to pick from. Small towns sometimes have one (we are fortunate to have six...one's in the gas station...none sit-down).

I suppose small town in TX is a whole different concept than in KS. I think compared to the rest of KS, I live in a large town. We have 3500 people and we just got our first stoplight last year (I think). The population rate hasn't changed in 20 years. Most people stay there their whole lives. In order to go to Walmart, we have to drive 30-60 minutes depending on which one you want to go to. Of course, coming from Austin, I guess anything less would look small. :) He, he. Until I was in junior high we still could dial someone's house by just using the last four digits and not the prefix. We don't have local cable; our's comes from over an hour away. Cable wasn't available until 1990 in my town and Internet wasn't available until 1996. Okay...enough small town talk...sorry!

Rebecca said...

Wow I guess I should be thankful for my small city!

Anonymous said...

Your list really made me laugh! I also grew up in a big city. I do have to say that Amanda was right though. Jeremy's town was so small that they had a post office, a gas station and a drive up BBQ stand and that was it. It was only a half hour to the nearest walmart though. They were lucky! :)

Anonymous said...

Great post Rebecca! I love small towns! And it was great running into you at Wal-Mart Tuesday night! Have a great weekend.
~Sendy

Anonymous said...

I want to live in your small city. I really do like Temple and especially your neighborhood. Have a great day!!