Thursday, April 24, 2008

Just for a Little While




January 30, 2006:
We have been blessed with a guest in our home. Our seven year old nephew is going to stay with us for a little while. We are excited about him coming. We have started our prepartions: new room decor that does not have pink flowers, new bathroom toiletries that won't burn the eyes, an evening schedule that might be more for us than him, but most of all prayer that this will be the best place for him even if it is just for a little while.

April 25, 2008:
Our prayers have been answered, Bryan has been a huge blessing in our household. He has brought us so much joy and taught us many lessons that only kids can teach. I am watching him play lego starwars right now and I am thinking back to the weekend when we first got him. Jonathan and I were sitting on our couch biting our nails, not sure what we were going to do with a seven year old. Would he like us, could we help him, were we too young, were we ready to be parents?

I know now that we did make the right decision. He has come a long way. He smiles and has learned how to give great big hugs. He says "I love you" for no reason and sometimes he just can't stop talking. He is very different from 2 years ago. I am crying now thinking about tomorrow. Bryan is going to Foster's Children's Home in Stephenville tomorrow. I have been dreading this day since the day that I decided that I couldn't handle it all anymore. I have to turn it over to God. We are only two people and we can't do everything.

Jonathan and I were willingly thrown into the world of parenting, but we had no idea what lay ahead of us. Bryan has some emotional problems that we were not prepared to deal with. We hope that in time we will get to an emotional place where we can give Bryan everything that he needs, but we are unable to at this time. Please pray for him as he is anxious about tomorrow and I am dreading 4:00 when we will have to leave him in the hands of other parents, knowing that no one will love him like we do.

5 comments:

Jennifer said...

We have and will continue to pray for you! May God continue to bless you and your family. And, may God watch over little Bryan as well. We love you!

Shyla said...

I know God has his hand in all of this. I will pray for you guys during this next time of transition.

Ginger said...

Oh, Becca. My heart aches for you more than words will ever be able to express. Watching him grow and change with you over the past two years has been a true joy. I cannot imagine the pain you, Jonathan and Bryan are experiencing. Know that at the children's home while they will not be able to love him like you do, they will be able to love him and provide for him what he needs right now.

Amanda said...

Oh Rebecca! My heart is breaking for you! We will continue to pray. We think we may know someone who works at that Children's Home. I will email him and see. We love you guys.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to hear about this. My prayers are with you! Good luck! -- AT