Thursday, February 07, 2008

A good scare

Kylee and I are still adjusting to each other. She doesn't really like to sleep anywhere except in our arms. It is sweet, but poses a problem when I want to get something done or get some sleep myself. So she doesn't really like to ride in the car unless we are going about 50 mph. I was reading some websites about babies sleeping and someone was talking about the swaddle and how they had used it in the car seat. So I tried it this morning when we went to see the lactation consultant. She was so quiet that I actually pulled over to check and make sure she was alright.

It turns out that my daughter has been starving. I had an appt. with the lactation consultants today to make sure that Kylee is gaining weight. Well she only gained 6oz. in a week and a half. She is still not back to her birth weight, and they were very concerned about the color of her stools. So I have to continue to feed her on one side for 25-30 minutes and then pump the other side and feed it to her in a bottle.

She is a different baby! She is not fussy after I feed her. She takes better naps, and they said this should help with the gas problem. Apparently the watery milk can cause gas. They said that she is probably weak and doesn't suck hard enough. We will go back next week and they will weigh her again. I'm so thankful for those wonderful ladies!

5 comments:

Karianne said...

Good for you for sticking with the breastfeeding, even through the trials. We've had our share of problems too (with both my babies) but it is sooo worth it to not give up.

And oh, the swaddling technique works wonders! We started that with Jonah a few weeks ago, and now the boy is pretty much sleeping through the night. He used to never sleep by himself, but now he puts himself to sleep! It's amazing! I recommend investing in one of those special swaddling blankets if you don't already have one.

Congrats again, your daughter is beautiful! :)

Chris said...

Congrats on find out more about your baby. I wonder if you could take her to McDonalds? Surely they have something for newborns there, and that would fatten her right up.

Amanda said...

My sis in law had a thing called a mobby wrap. It is the coolest thing. You can use it in many different ways to carry the baby. You can even strap them in close to your front and leave your arms free to do stuff! Her baby really loved is because it keeps her close to your heart.
http://www.mobywrap.com/

Gina said...

I think the comment before me mentioned something like a sling....totally recommend one. We even took Carlee to church in hers so that people wouldn't get to handsy!

Breastfeeding is awesome, but difficult. It is so much better in the long run. I know I love the special time with my babies (and I am burning extra calories...bonus!)

Best wishes!

kristi@ishouldbemoppingthefloor said...

It was so good to see you guys yesterday morning! Sorry we didn't get to visit! Kylee sure looked sweet.