Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Happy Mother's Day!


Here is a belated Happy Mother's Day wish. I tried to write this entry yesterday, but my computer froze and I lost it. We will see if it works today.

Sunday we went to church and heard the traditional Mother's Day sermon, then we made Mother's day cards in our Kindergarten class that Jonathan and I teach. After church Jonathan asked me where I wanted to go for lunch and I decided that I really wanted Romano's Macaroni Grill. Since we live in a small town, we do not have one and so we were planning to go Austin for lunch.

Jonathan got called into work right after we left church and we headed over there so he could look up a part for a customer. It was a parts emergency if you will. Bryan and I got to drive a gator around. I let him sit in my lap and steer. He was doing very well and I complimented him. Then he said that he would get back in the passenger seat so we could turn around. He then told me, "See Becca, you're a good driver too!"

After we left John Deere my allergies were really acting up so I asked Jonathan if we could just grab Taco Bell and head home. I though maybe we could go out to dinner that night. While we were waiting in the drive through line Bryan said, "Since I am going to live with you forever can I start calling you Mother and Father?" We were a little floored and said that we would love it if he called us Mom and Dad. We assured him that he could still call his Mommy Mommy and that he was lucky because he had two Moms and Dads.

Jonathan and I were planning on talking to him about that exact topic later that day, God took care of that! While I was talking to Debi that afternoon Bryan overheard me talking about adoption. He said, "Oh man I have to be adopted." So Jonathan and I sat down to talk to him about the adoption that evening. He said that he though adoption was bad, but he didn't know why. He then explained that adoption meant that you had to go and live with another family--he would have to go and live with someone else, not us. :( We quickly explained that we would be the ones adopting him and he wouldn't have to live with anyone else.

Then we read him a kid friendly book about adoption and talked about it a little more. He was obviously a little overwhelmed because he was acting very silly. He did call me Mommy once yesterday. That had a nice ring to it!

5 comments:

Karen said...

That's so cool, Becca. I love your stories... even if they only come once every few weeks :-)

JAPierce said...

Wow Becca! Big stuff! I am praying for you. Hopefully I can SEE you soon!

Anonymous said...

I think you had a great Mother's Day. Bryan has a lot to think about, but I bet he feels happy about your official role as Mom and Dad. I'm proud of both of you. Guess we'd better learn how to be a Grandma and Grandpa. I don't want to be called Grandma though. We'll have to think on that.
Love you all,
Pam

Karen said...

I was thinking... not sure if Bryan is old enough to understand the Christian concept of adoption, although kids amaze us all the time. But you might go to a Christian bookstore and look for another kids book on adoption. Might be a neat way for him to start building another image of Christ, since he's going through it now himself.

Chris said...

Good news Becca! I found a German style park near Austin! Lets ditch the kids and go for it!