Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Our Soma


Our preacher, Toby, was talking about "Brave New World" in his sermon. I read it in high school, but I don't really remember it. He was talking about the fact that these people were controlled by a pill that they called their "soma." They would work all day and then when they got off work they were handed a pill that made them happy. One day they were denied the soma and they were angry and didn't know what to do.

Toby brought a TV up on the stage and told us that in our society the TV is our soma. He challenged all of us to spend an entire week without the TV. He said that we needed to give God time to work in our lives and not just give him our leftover time. Jonathan and I haven't followed through completely, but we have reduced our TV time this week. Last night we went out to Jack in the Box for dinner then headed over to Wal-Mart. I can't remember the last time that we all went shopping in an evening during the week. It was nice that we didn't have to rush home to get Bryan to bed.

Then when we got home we turned on our new jazz cd's and danced in the kitchen. It was a blast. Bryan and I were fighting over a turn with Jonathan. Then Jonathan sat down with me at the table to try and figure out how to sew up the crotches in all of his jeans. He seems to always break the crotch in his jeans at work. I am tired of the holes, but didn't know how to fix them. I have a sewing machine that my mom got me (Thanks Mom!) but I haven't used it a whole lot.

So Jonathan and I started by figuring out how to put some more thread on the bobbin and put it back in. After a call to Mom and consulting the manual, we figured it out. Then we started on the first pair of jeans, the needle broke. So we got to learn how to load a needle. We were successful and we sewed up the first pair of jeans. It doesn't look really pretty, but I think it will work.

3 comments:

Karen said...

Sounds like some great family time. I'm guess Bryan took this picture? He did a good job! It's nice to read your blogs again.

Rebecca said...

Yes he did a good job. I like the way it is slanted, what a good eye!

Chris said...

Dancing in the kitchen to jazz? I did not know you guys were so sexy.