Saturday, November 05, 2005

Perks of Being a Music Teacher

We just had a new textbook adoption for music books. The stakes were very high for Texas and both companies really wanted our business. While I did not get to partake in the voting (there were three music teachers at my school and only 2 votes), the company that I was rooting for got the vote. Their textbook actually has some stuff that I might use. You see the books are in some ways written for people who don't know anything about music, and therefore do not cover the curriculum that I teach. But this book actually has Kodaly stuff in it. I have already used like three lessons from it.

Anyway, back to the perks. On Thursday, my ipod came in! MacMillan/McGraw-HIll bought every teacher an ipod that was in a district that got their books. I'm sure that the cost was included in the price of the textbook in some way, but its still cool. The reason they gave us the ipods is so that we can load all of the CD's onto it and not have to use the CD's anymore. We just search through our ipod when we need a song. It is way cool! I have started loading CD's on their and that is a process. It took me about 2 hours to do one grade level, but I know it will be worth it! Go MacMillan!!!

2 comments:

Mary Ann Melton said...

You will LOVE the IPOD. So much easier to get to the music - and have it all compactly in one place. They even make a "dock" with stereo speakers or you can get a little attachment and listen to your IPOD through your car's speakers as you drive.

A good marketing move for the book company!

Chris said...

Hmm if I vote for this text book I get an iPod, but if I vote for this text book I do not get an iPod...hmmm... :)