Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Meet Mr. Cool Guy




Koosh balls were the greatest inventions. I often use them in my classroom. But they were hard to find. My Mother-In-Law put an email out to all of the teachers at her school and I now have a wonderful collection of koosh balls. Meet Mr. Cool guy, he is somewhat of a celebrity in my classroom. I throw him to each student as I sing a greeting to them and then they have to throw him back to me as they sing their greeting. He is a hit in all of my classes, PK-5th grades.

The other day I decided to use a different koosh ball for my greeting, I just thought that I would add a little variety. Well kids love what they know! All of them asked where he was, was he sleeping, was he on vacation, was he taking a break. As you can guess I just agreed to whatever the reason that the kids came up for the absense of the Mr. Cool guy. But my favorite response from a 3rd grader was, "Is he (my new koosh ball) one of Mr. Cool guy's relatives?"

You never know what kids are going to come up with. And even though you (the teacher) are totally tired of something, that does not mean that they are even remotely tired of it.

7 comments:

Chris said...

I do hope you were no forced to discuss the biology of koosh balls? Your students are far too young.

Amy said...

My kids love this one episode of Popeye, so I figured, "Get them more Popeye!" Turns out they are fans of the ONE episode only. Creatures of habit, kids are.

Chris said...

It is funny how they have preferences. Like Emmie can watch Nemo over and over, but she did not care for the singing and dancing vegtables.

Anonymous said...

What a cute idea for a greeting. Mr. Cool Guy is so spectacular he should have come from a large family.

Karen said...

Mom says "cool?" How funny.

Rebecca said...

It is kind of funny for Mom to say "cool."

Amy I don't know how a kid could not like any episode of Popeye. He talks funny and I love to watch him walk, if thats what you call it.

Kids are creatures of habit. I just have to keep telling myself that they are not just little adults, they are kids with kids thinking

Chris said...

Plus Popeye is a sailor. Everyone loves sailors.